Ricotta Cavatelli with Broccoli Rabe, Tomatoes & Italian Sausage
Ingredients Yield: 2-4 servings
4-5 oz. blanched broccolini spears
16 each ripe tear drop tomatoes, cut in half
1 quality olive oil
4 Italian sausage, hot or mild your choice
2 finely minced shallots
4-5 garlic clove, shaved thin like in Goodfella’s
2-ounce white wine (something you enjoy drinking)
10 ounces PASTA REA Cavatelli
5 oz. Whole butter
3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
TT sea salt
TT freshly ground black pepper
3- 4 ounces grated fresh grated Romano cheese
Follow These Simple Steps….
- Clean broccolini of any excess leaves and cut in spears about 3” long.
- Bring 2 quarts salted water to a roaring boil and blanch broccolini in boiling water until al dente. Drain and immediately submerge in cold ice bath to chill then drain well.
- Rinse out pot and bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil and hold
- Remove sausage from casing. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet, lightly brown sausage, and crumble with fork as it browns
- Add garlic and shallots to the sausage and saute until translucent. Then add tomatoes and saute to blister followed by broccolini. Toss to warm.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce by ½ to remove alcohol, hold on a very low simmer.
- Drop pasta in water and cook to desired consistency. Your Cavatelli should float when it is nearly done.
- Drain the Cavatelli well, reserving some pasta water.
- Combine your pasta to the simmering sauce pan and toss it altogether.
- Throw in whole butter and toss again until the butter is melted. You can add small amounts of pasta water if needed.
- Add parsley and season to taste with salt, pepper and ½ the Romano cheese.
- Toss on medium heat to make sure all is hot.
- Plate and garnish with remaining cheese.
To Enjoy a Cooking Demo with Chef Rea and our Visitor Frank Guzzo with the Italian Association of Arizona Click the Photo Above, Mangia Bene!